Change default programs in Windows 10? Here, the process for changing a default app in Windows 10, how to change file associations in Windows 10
How to change default applications in Windows 10?
Change default programs in your PC (Windows 10) – Do you want to open the pages on the internet in another browser? Don’t you like the video player that comes with Windows 10 as default? Here in this article, You’ll know how to easily switch to the apps you like to use the most.
Sometimes, when a new version of Windows 10 is installed, it has a tendency to forget the browser that the user uses the most. In other words, it puts Edge back as the default browser, when the user has always used Chrome or Firefox, for example, if you want to change which browser you have set to open internet pages, for example, when you click on an address you receive by email.
But the process is valid for any other application used to run certain files: music or video player, photo viewer, and even maps, you can specify which app starts by default when you double-click the file. In case you don’t want to pre-define an application forever, you can use it once, just click with the right mouse over the respective file and choose “open with” and see the list of suggestions.
Bear in mind that you can only set by default applications that you have previously installed on Windows 10. For example, if you want VLC Player to start running all videos instead of Windows Player, you must have the application installed already the system assumes its existence in the list of options.
Change Default Applications in Windows 10
Follow these steps to change Windows 10’s default application ;
- Step 1: Click on the Windows start button and then select “Settings”.
- Step 2: Now select “Applications” from the list.
- Step 3: In the left menu, choose the option “Default Applications”.
- Step 4: A list of categories to define the app will appear, such as email, browser, music, or video player will be shown.
- Step 5: In the case of the browser, for example, if it has never changed it must have the Edge as a defect. Windows updates sometimes set the browser back to default. By clicking on the application a list of alternatives will appear, in this case, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, etc. and if what you want is not installed, you can always visit the Microsoft store to search or install it however you want.
- Step 6: Another preset that you can configure is the choice of applications according to the type of files. For example, which program opens a .jpg image or MP3 music image. To do this, slide the page to the bottom and choose the first option “Select predefined applications by file type”.
- Step 7: Now you have to wait a few moments for the system to process all types of files on your computer. A new list will appear with the type of files and the respective programs you want to use to open them.